Friday, May 29, 2015

Redundancy

I’m just hanging out this week - not too much to say but a few words on redundancy.  I picked this topic because, well, it’s kind of a reflection of my life.   

I swim, I eat, I hang out with Spencer.  Sometimes I climb upon the rocks to take a bask.  Every day my human feeds us at morning and night.  Once in a while she brings us outside to play in the grass.  She lets us out in the house every now and again.  This gives us a chance to explore and get out of the tank to dry ourselves some.

Anyway, pretty boring, you think?  Well, you thought wrong.  My life may be redundant from day to day but I am a turtle after all.  Slow is how we roll.  I happen to think we live an extraordinary adventure each moment we are alive.

So let’s talk about redundancy then - you’re definition of the word is probably far different than mine because you see, I am a species born of instinct and intuition.  Therefore to be redundant is merely my life cycle.  

You may notice redundancy in your life from time to time.  Waking up, eating, eating again and again, and going to sleep each day - something about showers and brushing your teeth probably fits in there.  Nonetheless, this is redundant behavior, no?

Well - the dictionary defines “Redundant” as something being ‘in excess’.  There are obviously a few definitions to correctly utilize the word, but in this case - allow me to be redundant here - haha - we must use the word in its correct context.  My life cannot be considered redundant because my life is natural.  In a natural state of being, however, does my life fit the definition?  Redundantly so!

I know this may be getting confusing.  Believe me, I was confused by my own thoughts on this as well.  Its funny you see because I am living a life that fits the definition by form but in other words, breaks the definition down completely to mean nothing at all.  

Turtles live lives that resemble repetition, apparently this difference between repetition and redundancy makes for a confusing relation of the words.  Let us define “Repetition” then as ‘the act of repeating’ or ‘repeated action’.  So, don’t these words fit the same category within each other?  

Not really.  The reason for this differential is because of the fine lines in each definition.  To be redundant would be behavior that continues forth without necessity.  Whereas to be repetitive without excess is merely continuous behavior.  

Still confused?  Okay - let me sum this up.  I am a turtle what do I really know - these are just my reflections from the pond.  Otherwise, I urge you to practice with definition in your life.  Know what you say when you say it and understand that when you say something, people think you mean it.  Don’t become redundant nor repetitive in your speech.  Words are important - they mean something.  Be sure you know what they mean before you make assumption or judgement upon behavior, especially.  Know the difference between things like redundancy and repetition.  Notice the definition of a word before you use it.  

Recognize what you say when you mean it and what you mean when you say it.  This results in the reflection of any situation to be a lot more positive.  Just think of the peaceful turtle pond - redundant, repetitive, whatever it may be - it’s steady nonetheless.














No comments:

Post a Comment