Friday, June 26, 2015

The Saga of the Lost Turtle

Spencer went missing yesterday!  We are are so sad.  My human brought us out into the yard to play and even while she was specifically keeping her eye on Spencer, he simply got away.  

This is a tragedy for my human.  I’m okay.  A little confused yes, but alas, I am a turtle and I shall live out my long years wondering what Spencer got himself into if he is not found.

It was apparent that my human was in utter shambles when he got away.  She was sitting right there practically watching him escape and as she gave him a few seconds before she got up to capture him… by the time she got to where he should have been, he just wasn’t there.  He wasn’t anywhere.  

See, contrary to popular belief, turtles can actually move quite fast.  We can also climb things, sideways even, and pull off other strange contortions that one may not think turtles could.  We are diggers and explorers and it is just any wonder where Spencer could be.

This is quite the unfortunate event, though my human doesn’t just give up on things like this.  That little turtle needs to get found.  I’ve already figured out what she’s doing when she’s taking water from the tank.  She’s setting up a trap for him outside where he may come looking for water.  I hope he comes looking for water.  I hope he knows where he is in relation to the yard and turns around comes home.  I wonder if he can smell the water from our tank.  I hope he can.  

There is good news and bad news for Spencer being out in the elements.  Thank goodness its summertime so he won’t freeze to death at night but there are raccoons around here and they would love a tasty treat like a turtle.  The good news is that if he isn’t found by a predator, he can live up to a month or more on his own out in the wild, even without anything to eat or drink.  That’s pretty amazing!

So for now, we are mourning the loss of a dear friend… we are praying that he is found safe and sound.  We will be looking for him daily until the search becomes utterly fruitless.  

Dear, Dear Spencer… what a little rascal.

No comments:

Post a Comment