Saturday, October 11, 2014

Why We Read

I was watching the human this afternoon while I was out for my daily wanderings through the big space with grass. It must be the backyard, sometimes maybe the front yard. One of them is closer. I like to walk through the grass and feel the fine blades under my shell. There are only so many places for me to walk to before the human moves me. There are places I must be able to get underneath. Definitely plenty of places to hide. Especially the luscious clovers. So, I get to wandering and she moves me and I get to wandering again and she moves me, so finally I get to somewhere that I can pretend she cannot see me, and I watch her. From under the dried leaves on the ground I can peek through and watch her reading. It is peaceful when she reads. She allows me some freedom (once I sit still) and she just reads in her book. In my observations, it is apparent to me that reading is important. If one cannot read, one cannot write. Without written words, where would your social activity evolve? Think about this. Humans have not evolved to a level of conscious such as turtles. We do not speak at all and merely communicate through body language. Nowadays with all your technology, you people seem to communicate via written word more than ever before. If you cannot read, how will you communicate with the rest of the universe? Reading is more important than just reading words, however. Comprehension is an even more involved exercise within your reading. Just look at that word for example - comprehension. Do you know how many syllables that is? Do you know that the ‘sion’ at the end of that word sounds like ‘shun’? If you do not comprehend what I’m saying here, you must practice. My human reads a lot about turtles. This helps her to better understand how to best take care of me. She also reads a lot of different things, ensuring her the skills to be a better writer. As for me, I like it best when she reads books. This is when I get to go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment