Friday, October 3, 2014

The Words of the Girl

Welcome back.  Charlotte has been on hiatus for a few days preparing for her next great adventure.  Her story, as perhaps expected, has been coming along slowly in her earliest moments of youth.  As she is growing bigger and stronger and emerging from infancy to toddler stage, however, so will her perspective grow and become stronger as well.

As previously mentioned, in the span that will become Charlotte’s lifetime, she may live to 30 years or more.  This means that even while in her reptile life, she is only several months old, in the relation to a human, she is now approximately the equivalent of a toddler moving from age 2 to 3 years. We may as well assume that Charlotte is aged 30 months in relation to a human child.  

There have been reports of people living over the age of 122.  It has been officially documented that this is now the official maximum life expectancy for any other human that has not yet died.  And so it has been documented for a yellow bellied slider in captivity to live to 58, we can expect Charlotte to have a lot more to say than what she had for lunch in the coming years.  

Charlotte is here to tell this story, I am here to listen, and then, to write it.  

Today, Charlotte embarks upon a new relationship with her readers.  
Commitment.  Focus.  Sharing.  Trust.

Commitment to one post per week.

Focus on topics you care about.

Sharing the valuable time we have together.

“Trust me, Wilbur.  People are very gullible.  They’ll believe anything they see in print.”
~E.B. White.

You may recognize this last quote from Charlotte’s namesake - the spider.  This is only meant to pique your interest.  You may admire the pun or else mis-understand it.  Should the latter be your avenue, recognize, there will be no lies told here.  Merely a story imagined, yet full of reality.   

There will be baby steps.  There will be awkward moments.  There will be a time for laughter and a time for tears.  Time for self reflection and no time for judgement.

Charlotte’z We[b]log was created as a platform for visitors to enjoy reading.  To enjoy the broader spectrum than what we see with our own naked, human eyes each day.  A weekly anecdote to the life surrounding us all.

And without further adieu… The Words of the Girl.



I’m flipping my legs as if I’m going somewhere, seemingly flying through the air if it were not for the three strong human fingers holding me here, mid air.  It is time to go outside and get some sunshine.  She will set me back down eventually.  I should remember this by now.

The day is glorious, beautiful.  The perfect day to warm myself  in the real sun and meander through the yard in exploration of a way out into the world beyond the fence line.  My human will sunbathe today as well.  Vitamin D is the good stuff.  I got the right human for the task of spending time outdoors, that’s for sure.  

In this daily adventure, I will embark upon many things to see and hear.  The birds chirping, the sun blazing down, the honey bees buzzing for nectar in the dandelions.  As I am watching the bees, I have become interested just long enough to capture the gaze of the human, also interested in the interaction.  

This is my life.  Human, turtle, bee - there’s a dog too, and of course, Einstein the cat.  There is also another cat - though he’s not typically interested in this activity.  

Beyond swimming around all day and basking upon my rock, I enjoy this time spent outside with the human, most.  I hate it when she pulls me away from hiding somewhere though.  I’ll come back out eventually.  My opinion - she’s impatient.  But I also think she kind of likes me.  She does not yet realize that I’m usually only going to stay there for a few minutes, maybe ten, if she can stand it that long before looking in on me.

All in all, it’s nice today.  My human sunbathes even while the world around her seems tumultuous and scary as it spins around in circles.  I am content because she cares for me in lieu of fighting wars and political battles - though I think she could take a senator if one needed put in his place.

I like it that she shares my attitude:

We are all in the same pond.  Let us live.  And, even while it seems like an awful large pond out there, I like mine just fine.

I am in mid air again.  We must be going inside now.  This time I’m squirming because I do not want to go.  Although, the human brought me some guppies the other day.  Maybe I can corner one.  Otherwise, I’ll bask on my rock for a few minutes, later tonight, after dinner.

I could get used to this turtle life.











No comments:

Post a Comment